Sunday Stroll on Andrew Marr’s Megacities
June 6, 2011
The first episode of Andrew Marr’s Megacities contained around two minutes of footage shot on the Sunday Stroll of 9th January 2011. Missed the show? It’s available for viewing on BBC iPlayer, footage of the Sunday Stroll begins at around the 53 minute mark.
If you’re looking for more information then you’ve come to the right place! The brief summary is that London has three weekly group street skates. All three skates are completely free to participate in and are run entirely by volunteers. Rules, starting locations, route maps and weather call information can be found at the links on this web site and on the LondonSkate web site (see below). All skates welcome both inline (rollerblade) and quad skaters. Please have a browse around and see what we have to offer!
* The Sunday Stroll takes place every Sunday at 2pm. It’s pitched at new skaters, but you’ll need about 8 hours practice before you’re ready to try it. Route and weather call information is posted at https://www.lfns.co.uk.
* The LondonSkate takes place every Wednesday at 8pm during the summer. It’s pitched at intermediate skaters and sticks to main roads, with no sprints. Route and weather call information is posted at http://www.londonskate.com.
* The London Friday Night Skate takes place every Friday at 8pm. It’s pitched at intermediate to advanced skaters. It may involve sprints, hills and sharp turns depending on the route. If you can complete a Wednesday you can complete a Friday, but keeping up at the front might be a challenge 😉 Route and weather call information is posted at https://www.lfns.co.uk.
Looking for off-street skating options in London?
* Not yet ready for skating on the street? There is also an in-the-park option: the Easy Saturday Skate takes place on Saturday mornings entirely within the confines of Battersea Park. If you’re completely new to skating then check it out – it’s free!
* Or perhaps the LFNS is too slow for you? Check out the London Skaters Speed Team and have a go at club level track racing!
* Got quads? Want Derby? Check out the London Rollergirls!